Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Friday, July 5, 2013

Zuleika's placement sites

I was able to have the experience of working with many different organization while in Cape Town. For the first half of my time I did my service learning at Beautiful Gates which is a orphanage for children with HIV. I was able to work closely with the Social worker and see the cases she was working on. The most amazing moments were when we got a little time to spend with the kids. It was extremely hard because we were only there in the morning and the kids were at school at that time. Even though I was not able to spend as much time as I would have hoped with the kids the time I did spend was amazing. These kids were so full of life I mean I couldn’t help get happy just seeing them. I remember my first day going to Beautiful Gate without knowing anyone besides Alyssa it was pretty nerve racking but then a beautiful little girl came running to me and gave me the biggest hug. I think Alyssa and I fell in love with that place; as much as you wanted to feel bad for the kids being there you couldn’t help but to be happy because they were happy.


The other place where I was lucky to have the chance to go was Eros School for children with Cerebral palsy. I thought that this place would be hard to walk into everyday because it would sadden me to see the kids not able to do everyday things. I was pleasantly surprised going to Eros school has taught me to not make assumptions and things might surprise you. The kids made my day; I was so impressed with how much they knew and how they caught on to things. If I did not know I was at a school for children with disabilities I would not have known. These kids would sit down and listen to the teacher for however long the lesson was, usually kids can’t even sit down for ten seconds before they want to run around. The kids were not the only ones I feel in love with, the teacher was amazing. You could just tell she loved her job and wanted the kids to leave everyday learning something. Sometimes I would forget I was there to help out and just sit with the kids and listen to her teach. I think I needed to see that these kids had somewhere to go and people that cared about them. I struggled with not seeing help for children with disabilities and this school just helped me to see that there is hope for these kids and South Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment