Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Monday, July 15, 2013

Daniella's new family


My new family...

when I first heard that we were going to participating in a home-stay. I'm not going to lie and say that I wasn't nervous. The idea that I would be living with a family that I didn't know was definitely a nerve racking thought. Crazy thoughts ran through my head like, will they be nice, do they have children, where would I be staying? So it was safe to say that I was scared and really feeling the idea. But the day came and I had to basically push back my fear and go for the ride. I was paired up with Eddie and we stayed with the Russo family in Oceanview. The family had a beautiful house, I must admit. It looked like a house that might have come from the U.S. The family dynamic included a mom, dad, two daughters, and a son. For our weekend there the children did not stay at the house, so I slept in the daughters room, while Eddie stayed in their son's room. My room looked like a basic teenagers room, so I felt right at home. The first day there we met everyone and chatted a bit. They asked us questions and we asked them questions. Then Mrs. Russo made a dinner, which was delicious. The next day we had our community service placement where we had to go to a daycare. This was a very good day. I loved watching the children play and sing. They were the cutest little children I have even seen. They had their school lessons, ate their lunch, and then took a nap. We had a chance to talk to the woman who ran the program and she told us about some of the students and their home situations. It was sad to learn about the things that were going on in their lives just seeing how young and innocent they were. I wish they could stay that way forever. That night we reunited with the other students for a little dinner party at one of the host families house. We ate, talked, and just relaxed. Saturday, my host family took us out to breakfast and then we had a chance to browse the mall. Being back at the mall made me feel at home. I love to shop so I was in my element that day. We visited so many shops and I purchased a few items. That night we went to their eldest daughter house for a braai. They made so much food and it was all delicious. We talked about the husband's work, the comparisons and differences between the U.S., and about Whiskey. They also watched some kind of soccer match, which I had no clue to what was going on. Sunday was the last day there and we had a relaxing morning then headed back to Chantel's to head home. We met up with all the other students and their host families. We said our goodbyes, prayed, and then headed home. It was a weekend well spent I would say. I would just like to thank my host family for accepting me into their home and for being so gracious to me. I also would like to thank Chantel for setting everything up and providing us with such a unique and once in a lifetime experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment