Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Daniella transformed by Cape Town



what I've taken from cape town...

 Cape Town has transformed me definitely for the best. I've come back to the U.S. smarter and more aware of issues in Africa, the U.S. and with myself. Being in Cape Town and seeing the way others lived made me very appreciative of the things that I was so blessed with. Usually I would complain about materialistic things, but seeing the South Africans not complain about their circumstances make me ashamed. I've learned to be more grateful for the things that I do have and it makes me want to work hard for the things that I want to accomplish in the future. City Mission Educational Services played a big part in my transformation. School was just something that had to be done, I always did the minimum. I never pushed myself to do more and actually work to my potential. I'm not saying that I have completely changed and now I will be getting straight A's all the time, but I am working towards pushing myself to doing my best. I am honestly happy that I was given this opportunity to have a free education and such good teachers willing to teach me. I think that is very important in having a successful future. So I do not plan on taking my education for granted anymore. I also have become more aware of social issues around my community and country. I recently participated in a Trayvon Martin rally because I feel it is necessary for me to show my support for a cause that I feel strongly about, and Africa has taught me that. I hope I can get more involved in other charities and foundations that fall in line with my values. When I was in Africa I didn't realize the impact that it had on me until I came home and started applying it to my everyday life, so for that I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment