Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Chivelle on being home

I’ve been home for a couple of weeks and I miss Cape Town so much!!! It feels good to be home, but I want to go back to Cape Town. That place really has my heart and it has become a second home to me. Even though, we were there for a month, I have already grown attached to Cape Town. Being there just gives me a sense of peace and comfort. 
      
Since being home, I’ve already jumped back in the swing of things. As soon as I got home, I had my first day of class.  It was a little rough being in class with jet lag, but I managed to get through it.  I already know I have my work cut out for me with all the classes I have to take this summer, but it’s one step closer to graduating in December!

Every day, I reminisce on all the experiences I’ve had in Cape Town. I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to go on this trip. This trip has really made me into a better person and has caused me to change my perspectives on things.  It also given me long lasting friendships and everlasting memories. 

From this experience, I’ve learned to become thankful for everything that I have in my life. I learned not to complain about everything that goes wrong because there are people that are in a worst situation than I and they are probably not complaining about their situation. People that live in the different townships seemed to be so happy and never complained about the home they’re living in or any situation they were in. They were always welcoming, happy and humble.   Seeing this put many things in perspective for me. If they’re not complaining or unhappy by their situations in life, I shouldn’t be unhappy or complaining about mine.  This was probably one of the most important lessons that I have received and it’s something that I will never forget.  Another thing I have realized is that I feel a oneness with myself. I truly believe that I have found myself in Cape Town. I am more confident with everything I do now. 


Words cannot express how grateful I am for this trip. This experience has truly humbled me.

No comments:

Post a Comment