Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Monday, July 15, 2013

Leslie's adjustment to a cultural change

I barely talk to my whole entire family let alone my neighbors. When a complete stranger on the street says hi to me I get defensive immediately.

I probably couldn't name ten people in any of my classes. What I am trying to explain is that I have noticed how isolated we are. In America we don’t associate ourselves with everyone. We may talk to people out of envy, expectation, or simply out of liking. How many people can say they talk to random people on the street and sincerely ask how their day is going and carry on a conversation?

During my time spent in Cape Town, I noticed that many people came up to me to say hi or ask how I was doing. At first I was hesitant to answer because they were a complete stranger to me and I didn’t know what they wanted. Looking back at it now, I wish during my first few days that I wasn’t so shy and distant from the people. On the bright side I’m glad I got over it and adjusted to their friendly culture. I felt at home around the people. They were all so humble which isn’t something you see back at America.


During my homestay, my second house mom told us just how humble they were. If someone was poor they didn’t try to show off what they don’t have. That struck me the most because I know people back at home that fall into peer pressure and they try to spend what they don’t have in front of others. In America I feel like it’s harder to admit when one struggles. In my opinion I feel like we see it as failure and disappointment. What I like about the people in Cape Town is instead of looking down on the poor, they support each other mentally and emotionally. They are also there for each other. Community and unity for them is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment