Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Monday, July 8, 2013

Daniella's journey to there and back


journey home . . .
Initially going on the trip I thought that four weeks was going to be way too long. I have never been away from my family for more than a week, so this was a challenge for me. But I was wrong, four week wasn't enough time. I felt like I was there for just a few days let alone a month. While being there I did get to experience a lot of wonderful adventures and explore different landmarks but I still wanted more. I wanted to do more and see more than I had. I wish the program was at least six weeks, but that probably wouldn't have been enough time either. I wish I had a chance to go surfing, swimming, or just visiting the beach at least once. I wish we went zip lining, paragliding, or even shark diving. It also would have been wonderful to have gone to church to see Bishop Desmond Tutu. There was an endless possibility of things to do there that I wish I had the chance to experience. But I am not discouraged because all the things I did get to do, was just as amazing. That last day we were in Cape Town was really hard for me to come to terms with. It was surreal that I was leaving in a matter of a hours. I put off packing up my room for the longest because I knew once I was packed, that just confirmed that I was leaving. This place that I was so nervous to come to, I actually ended up falling in love with and didn't want to leave. But all good things have to come to an end unfortunately. Saying goodbye was very difficult for me to do, especially when there were tears involved. I felt like we finally all getting to know one another and actually forming bonds and then we had to part ways. The journey to the airport was really sad and heartbreaking. Being home now I obviously still miss Cape Town and wish that I was still there, but it's nice to be home. At first I didn't adjust back to the time zone, so that took a while for me to get the hang of. I'm glad I have now because waking up at 6 am everyday was not ideal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment