Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Monday, July 8, 2013

Alyssa's reflections on Cape Town music







The value of music is so strong in Cape Town. From the Jazz in Swingers to the drumming in the streets, it is all from the soul. I always had interest in Jazz music but actually going to a Jazz CafĂ© helped me appreciate the band more.  The sounds had given me such a joyful feeling in which I had never felt before in music besides listening to Gospel. There were no words but still the drums, the keyboard, the bass and the saxophone spoke to me. I was in utter infatuation how the combination of completely different instruments could produce such beautiful music.  It was soothing and I could not take my eyes off of the band. One of musicians playing the African drum had in his right hand a coke bottle which he used while drumming to create a unique sound as it hit the face of the drum. I was impressed of how creative the drummer was for using the coke bottle while still forcing his left hand on the rim of the drum.   
One of the main souvenirs which I wanted to return home with was a Djembe drum. After having been able to play one at our drumming lessons, I realized how much work went into playing one. It was not easy but when you got the hang of it you felt good.  That is why I applaud these drummers who use only their hands and occasionally random items because the sounds come directly from the power they strike upon the drum.  Instead we are not hearing their beats but rather their stories and motives through their hands. As an artist myself, I know how much it means to incorporate emotions through music. When we ate at Moyo I felt the emotions of the South African musicians and singers there. It was intense and mind blowing of how dedicated the people there were to their music. Before even sitting our table we were welcomed by four musicians, three of which played the balafons and one who played the Djembe drum.  It was my second time since being in South Africa hearing the balafons but this time it was different. You could see it in their eyes of these young African male musicians; it was love.  They played non-stop and I could not stop watching them. When they finally had some downtime I had the pleasure of meeting one of them and told how talented they were. The musician I met expressed to me how much it was an honor to just play for people. That really stuck with me because he was humble and showed me that his gift was more than a talent it was what he loved doing. 
At the dinner table we also were lucky enough to have some of the workers sing to us. Usually in America, the only time you ever hear of workers singing to you is if it is someone’s birthday and often it is not like they are Grammy award winners, they just sing. At Moyo, it was the complete opposite. Four workers came up to our table after we grabbed our first plates and sang to us such a powerful song which left in total disbelief at what I had witnessed. Their harmony was insanely amazing! Dressed in colorful attire with tribal face paint, these workers clapped their hands and sing in Xhosa immaculately to us as if we were gods. We were only customers but given such courteous and generous treatment. I had no idea what they said in that song but it was so elegant and I was astonished by the clicks in their tongues as they sing. Xhosa is a beautiful language but even more beautiful through music. 
As an artist and as a Nigerian, I have been inspired by all the music from Cape Town. Being back in America I do not want to forget the spirit I felt through the sounds of Africa. I returned home with a hand drum and a sanza (thumb piano). I plan to incorporate these instruments in some of my future music projects to relive the same infatuation I felt in Cape Town through my music in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment