Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Leslie's activist project and growing awareness


When I say I had no idea what to do for an activist project, I mean there were so many options to choose from. I wanted to do a project for those in Cape Town but sadly our time there wasn’t enough. When I got back home I sat down and my sister texted me. At that moment I found inspiration on what to do. Although my older sister and I don’t really talk, everything she has gone through has really touched my heart. She got pregnant at a young age, dropped out of high school, was in an abusive relationship with her baby father, and for a short time she lived in a shelter home with her son until my mom took them in. Sadly now she is pregnant and can’t seem to find a job because she can’t afford a babysitter. 

It was hard for me to find something that could help woman with all their struggles but I believe I found a great project. Thanks to my time spent in Cape Town as well as the online readings, I learned a lot that I really wanted to bring to people awareness. My activist presentation that I gave at My Sister’s Place Shelter was about sexism and media. The reason why I chose media was because it plays such a big role in our everyday lives. For woman I feel like media puts women down and it is time to bring that out into the light. Along with my presentation I did a drive for the shelter. Originally I was going to do a clothing drive but it wasn’t what they really needed so I changed it into cleaning supplies drive. There weren’t many people that attended my presentation and it hurt at first and made me more nervous. I guess it made sense when the director explained the women aren’t interested unless they specifically get something out of it. It made me realize that we need to change our way of thinking when it comes to getting involved and participating. It took me a while to change my way of thinking too because the first two weeks in Cape Town when we found out about doing an activist project I was in no circumstance interested and now I am going to keep volunteering at My Sisters Place and getting involved.
------
My Sisters' Place... committed to ending homelessness and empowering women, families, and others in Greater Hartford to achieve independence and stability in their community by providing housing and supportive services.

No comments:

Post a Comment