Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Monday, July 8, 2013

Alyssa lessons learned regarding food








If you ask me what I miss most about Cape Town, I will honestly tell you it is the food! Oh how South Africans put so much love into their cooking rewarding me with such extravagant meals! From the very first day arriving in Cape Town and having the dinner with some traditional dishes, I was convinced this was home for me. When I thought about the Braai at Vernon’s, I figured it would be a simple welcoming barbeque. I was so wrong. By my second plate I was stuffed yet not ready to give in; I wanted more. By the first week I had gained some weight but had eaten better in Cape Town in a week than I ever have two semesters at UConn. From Samosas to fish, pastas, steaks, Bobotie—heck even the chips were beyond delicious. I tried the Bobotie when we met the other American students and I have to say I was infatuated. The dish consisted of spiced minced meat with egg over the top and baked. At Mama Africa I even had the chance to taste crocodile which was scrumptious might I add.  Beyond the taste, the success of these great tasting dishes is because they appreciate the food. Not all South Africans are lucky enough to have 3 meals a day so every dish given, they are grateful for. What I noticed about the communities is their effort to make sure no one goes hungry. Snook is a type of dried fish that is sold by people in the community for only R30, which is about three American dollars. From the visit at Ocean View we got to see firsthand how big the Snook was and how they processed it. The pieces sold look like it could feed two big families! I learned that if one has more than enough than lend some to others who do not.   
After coming home, I admittedly have become very picky with my food now.  Since returning, I have not had fast food and refuse to ever have it again.  I have done research concerning the nearest Ethiopian restaurants and plan to take my friends to one in New Haven, Connecticut. What I noticed too in Cape Town is that companies there reduced the amount of sugar in their drinks unlike American drinks.  I was not exactly sure of the difference but the taste was evident that there were less sugars. The average amount of sugar in one soda in America is 40 grams according to www.onecanofsoda.com. If we picked up a healthy South African lifestyle of eating we can began to not only enjoy our foods more but also make a healthier transition. I have since been the chef of my house making simple but delicious dishes such as fried tomatoes and soups. I have also managed to get my family back to eating as a family again. As a child we valued eating together but lost it as our work schedules and school began to interfere.  I am appreciative to have been reminded in Cape Town the importance of eating as a family and am thankful for every meal that I am able to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment