Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Maeve reflects on her trip of a lifetime

As I hiked up Table Mountain with Alyssa right behind me I kept wishing we had done this earlier in the trip when I was in better shape. They aren't kidding when they say it’s a tough hike, and that's the one they recommend the most. It’s a 1 kilometer hike to the trail and then 3 kilometers up the mountain which eventually becomes a giant staircase. We took a few breaks on the way up but as we got closer we just couldn't stop. The end was in sight and we couldn't wait. When we got to the top the view was overwhelming. The struggle up the mountain was beyond worth it (which is exactly what we told the struggling hikers on our way back down). As I looked out at the vast expanse I realized that hiking Table Mountain was the perfect end to this trip. From our perch up top, we could see all the places we had been over the past month: Signal Hill, Cape Point, Cape Town, the Waterfront, Robben Island, the townships, District Six, the World Cup stadium, the snowcapped Stellenbosch mountains, the beach and the beautiful scenery we have come to know and love. This hike and the view were the culmination of everything we had done and learned in our time in Cape Town.
 
View from Table Mountain
South Africa has seen its fair share of hardships and struggle but in the end they came out better and are continuing to improve this magnificent country. Although our hike is nothing compared to the apartheid, we were able to better understand the view from atop Table Mountain given the historical, political and economic knowledge bestowed upon us by every single person we met. Because everyone in Cape Town has a story and it’s not hard to find them out. On the plane from Jo’burg to JFK the next day, I sat next to a man from Durban and we discussed being white during the apartheid, the need for a global change in the training of athletes, our travels and the current government and what next year’s election meant for South Africa. He was the epitome of a South African: kind, welcoming, interested in my life and country, and open to discussing anything and everything. This combination of characteristics can be difficult to find in the US where everyone is so much more closed off and concerned with being politically correct. I found that South Africans were also more open to learning about people different from themselves in order to lessen stereotypes within their country. I went to visit one of my previous coaches on my second day back and although he was joking, the ignorance which he found humorous landed on deaf ears for me.

When people ask about my trip, I probably end up going into more detail than they expected because I feel a need to pass on what I saw and what I learned. This trip has affected me in more ways than one and if I don’t pass that experience on then I feel as though I wasted my time and the time of everyone I met. I have over 3,000 pictures to go through and to show anyone willing to watch. There are pictures from the first few days of orientation when we went up Signal Hill, Cape Point, saw the penguins and more but then there are the pictures from the townships and these are the photos that I want to tell everyone about. The pictures are shocking and heartbreaking and at times overwhelming but the stories that go along with them is what makes my trip real. The stories of despair and triumph, of strength and fortitude, the positivity to make a better life no matter what their background is or what others may think they are destined to be. At the Let’s Beat It! Concert for HIV/AIDS Awareness a young man from Guguletu was presented with an award for creating a printing business which started with R300, one computer and one worker (himself) and became a flourishing company with five workers and a five figure profit this past year. Every single person works their hardest to be the best they can be even if the odds are stacked against them and that’s the story I want to bring back and share with anyone who will listen.


It’s been hard adjusting back into life at home, especially since I hadn’t been home since Spring Break. I have everything from my dorm room and my trip to go through which is a daunting process that I’m slowly getting through. One of the most difficult changes has been waking up not surrounded by my housemates every morning. We had a routine with our shower rotation and then breakfast rotation before the day’s activities and then nightly meals with the Dinner Crew. Although it was only four weeks, that routine was normal and now I’m not really sure what to do. I know it’ll take time to adjust but for now just looking through the pictures and talking about my experience is enough to keep it alive as I integrate the “changed” me back into the life of the “old” me. I am beyond grateful to have had the chance to live in Cape Town for a month, and see and experience everything I did. This was the trip of a lifetime and one day I hope I can bring my friends and family back to show them the place that changed my life forever.
Maeve and placement supervisor, Sister Castle, at Thank You Dinner



No comments:

Post a Comment