Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Cynthia's empowering experience

Hey everyone, this week is our last we here at Cape Town and I have to admit I am very sad. I’ve had so many memorable moments but one of my most memorable experiences this past week is the thank you dinner that we hosted for the supervisors at our various placements. At the dinner I got to meet the people at the other placements that everyone couldn’t stop talking about. This dinner was so memorable to me because I finally realized why they could not stop talking about them. 

The people were so kind and actually loved what they did. I was given a chance to personally say thank you to my supervisors in front of everyone and I could not refuse. I wanted everyone to know how being place at Tafelsig Clinic changed my life forever. There I learned from doctors and nurses that were more interested in changing the life style of the patients instead of just prescribing medicine. The sisters at Tafelsig Clinic taught me that the path to better health is a better lifestyle. The sisters educated the patients on different diseases and how one can get them. I really enjoyed giving talks on hypertension and diabetes to the patients each morning with the other volunteers. The patients were very attentive and curious to know more. They always asked questions at the end of the presentation and when we did not know the answers we made sure to refer them to one of the nurses or doctors. The sisters also taught me the importance of treating every individual patient regardless of what was wrong with them with care and respect. Regardless of how busy it was at the clinic, the sisters always made sure to give the patients the time and care that they needed and if they could not provide it send them elsewhere to get it. As a person that wants to be in the health field in the near future this experience was empowering and made me believe that I can go into any healthcare filed I want if I put my mind to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment