Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Friday, June 14, 2013

Alyssa with valued companions on her journey


Alyssa on the top of the bottom of the world
You will never know what is on top of any mountain, until you hike it.  What waited for me on top of Table Mountain was more than an extraordinary view of Cape Town; it was the realization that I could accomplish any goal. If someone told me a year ago that I would be going to Africa, I would not believe them. Growing up, I always said I would travel the world. The farthest I have ever gotten was a failed attempt to flee back to my hometown in NYC. Today, I am a rebel to my past.  I have finally taken a plane, studied abroad and went to Africa all for the first time. Not many people in my family can say the same. Actually, no one in my family can say the same. Everything you do in life has a motive, a reason why you are taking action. My motive is my family’s lack of opportunity. I did not climb Table Mountain alone. My grandmother was with me, my mother and my father. Even when I wanted to give up, they told me to keep going. In my mind, I could hear their voices saying, “You can do it Alyssa… we can do this”.  

View of Lion's Head, Signal Hill, Table Bay, and the City Bowlfrom Table Mountain
The hike started off okay. I said to myself, “You ran 3 years of cross-country in jungles practically; this will be over as quick as you can eat a slice of Marita’s famous cakes.” Little did I know how wrong I was. Life is a mountain. It starts off predictable, gets challenging but you do not give up. It is not until you have reached the top when you finally feel complete. It took me two hours to hike a 2.5 hour trail. Halfway through, I even found myself crawling up the mountain; so much for cross-country skills. In the process however, I found how strong the mind really is. Success is dependent upon belief. If in your mind you are confident, you are too then convinced and can do anything.

I am grateful to have a friend. 
Alyssa & Maeve


Maeve & Alyssa
Sometimes I find myself lost in the true meaning of friendship. A friend is someone who sometimes knows how to push your gears but in the end will always be there for you. My friend is Maeve. If it were not for her being right next to me as we both struggled, I do not know if I would have finished as strong as I did hiking Table Mountain. Besides the other hikers, Maeve was there to ask me if I were okay the twenty times I slipped climbing up the mountain. Maeve was the one reciting my favorite Slim Shady lyrics as a motivation to keep us moving. She is the adventurous person I took a chance with as we sat on the tip of Table Mountain on the most exclusive and excluded rock we like to call, “The most Dangerous Rock on Table Mountain”. Although it took me about five minutes contemplating whether or not I really wanted to join her on the rock, even resulting to a minor nervous breakdown, she was my friend who held out her hand for me. On our journey up with met people from all over the world; we even took pictures with a stranger by the name of Louie. But hey, we were enjoying ourselves and that is all that mattered.

Alyssa at the top but is only at the beginning of a new adventure!

The view was amazing and worth every strain in every bone I endured. In 2 hours I hiked a trail to the top of Table Mountain in Cape Town, South Africa with a friend and the voices of my love ones. The fact that I can actually say that makes me so proud. I am on the top of the bottom of the world and I do not want to leave. From that very moment I was free and everything I had done in Cape Town was right in my view. I could see myself at Robin Island or taking a lesson from Lucy at the Slave Lodge and strolling down Long Street. My journey may have started in Cape Town, but it did not end there. This is only the beginning of a new adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment