Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Eddie climbing the heights and imagining


Today was our last full day and we as a group decided to climb Table Mountain.  It was a strenuous two-hour climb, which required great endurance and commitment but the views of Cape Town and the Republic of South Africa in general were worth the diligent effort.  Once I got to the top I was captivated by the spectacular views and I felt like I had earned such a stunning reward.  The mountains themselves reflect the metaphor Nelson Mandela made in his sentiment that once “after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb.”  At the zenith I appreciates what he was saying but in a differing vein.  Although I have been fortunate to travel extensively around Western Europe, the Philippines and study at the University of Connecticut for a year I have never really been exposed outside of my comfort zone, i.e. everywhere I have gone I have enjoyed Western style conditions and securities.  I have one more year until graduation and I have for a long time aspired to work in some capacity in the United Kingdom Foreign and Commonwealth Office within the overseas development sphere.  To say my month in South Africa was work experience is to trivialise it but I was intrigued to see how I would live in Africa for that time and whether or not after the excursion if I could realistically imagine myself working on the continent one day.  I can categorically state that now I can imagine just that.  The new ‘hills’ to climb then are a successful graduation and master’s education to be competently suited to work in the government.  Life is a series of epochs and as I looked out over Cape Town and saw from atop Chapman’s Peak, Signal Hill, Boulder’s Beech, Green Point and Rondebosch I thought what a brilliant time I have had out here in this beautiful land.  Climbing the mountain was truly the best way to end our adventure and round off my study abroad year.
Lion's Head and Signal Hill as viewed from Table Mountain

Table Bay as viewed from Table Mountain



No comments:

Post a Comment