Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Friday, June 7, 2013

Deborah finds it is impossible to complain

By the age of 7, I always new that I  wanted to become a “baby doctor” also known as an OBGYN. This choice was all due to my mother’s experience. At the age of 28, my mother was excited to be pregnant with her first child. She was prepared to give all of her unconditional love to this baby. Unfortunately, due to medical issues, my mother endured a total of four miscarriages. She started to lose hope of ever having a child, but she refused to give up because she had always imagined being a mother. To her excitement, she became pregnant with me, but with more complications. She was diagnosed with diabetes and it was predicted that her pregnancy would be dangerous. Her water broke early, and she was diagnosed with preeclampsia, a condition characterized by high blood pressure, fluid retention, and proteinuria. Both my life and hers were at risk, yet we both survived. This miracle has greatly inspired my decision to pursue a career in the medical field. For many years I believed because I survived, I was destined to help other babies survive as well because life is very precious. When I was five, my mother became pregnant with her first son. However, his birth was very premature. My mother could sense there was something wrong because my brother would not cry. Twelve hours later, my brother, Luther, died. The doctors explained that his lungs were not fully developed and that his eyes would not open. My mother was traumatized and felt as though she no longer wanted to live. Watching my mother as a child attempting to take her life, tortured me as a child. She felt as if someone had not only taken her son, but also a piece of her soul. She and my father were hopeless and miserable, and I hated to see my family this way. From this experience, I knew that my purpose in life would be to save the lives of babies and prevent other families from suffering this pain.

However, as I continued in my education I began to ask myself, in what direction should I go in the field if OBGYN. For years I’ve been telling myself that I wanted to help those in need?  However I never placed myself in a predicament of helping others medically? I’ve never volunteered in an environment where many disadvantaged individuals were in crucial need of medical attention? If Ive never seen the eyes and heart of others that endured such pain as my parents did, how will I know if this is my true purpose. In order to end the self-doubt about me even having a purpose in life, I felt as though it was imperative to place myself in an environment where people are in great need. This is one of the reason why I attended this public Health trip. 

 Yet throughout this trip, not only did I ignite a spark of passion to help people, it also started to help me grow as an individual. One of the trips that affected me the most was the trip to the Townships. As we drove on the way to the townships I was in awe of the conditions the people lived in.  It was my first time ever seeing anything like this. Seeing happy innocent kids run bare foot on broken glass and trash all over. The immediate thoughts that ran through my head as we continued to drive by is how do they bare the cold weather. I continuously complain about how cold it is in the morning here in Rondebosch. I thought that it was unbearable, yet what about those that don’t have a well-built house. Growing up I felt sorry for myself and family for being disadvantaged yet after that day, I felt guilty for being soo privileged in life and taking soo many things for granted. Even till this day every time we drive by the townships, I stare and still can’t believe my vision. It’s inhuman. Yet as one wise person told me. It is sad to see things like this and it is unfortunate to see people living this way, not by choice but due to the cruel ideologies of society. Many people live in these conditions in many other places including the United States. Coming on this Trip made me realize how cruel society could be and that people are suffering and are fighting to survive all over. Why did it take me so long to realize this?

One of the most important things I learned on this trip is to be aware of the world we live in. As pointed out in the “I Am” documentary, It is insane to live in a world where some people have multiple mansions and have others who don’t have roofs over their heads and must search for food in waste baskets. How could I be so blind? This world has been functioning in this manner for so long, yet no one questioned if it is wrong. Before watching the I am video, it was normal to see people live in dire conditions without a home or any food to eat. Even worse, instead of blaming on society, we blame it on the individual.  Why can’t that person find a job? Or he probably chose to live that way?   Yet many, like myself never questioned the society.   All though we all have a choice in how we live, in most cases, people don’t have an option. As Lucy Campbell mentioned in the Slave Lodge, Africans were ripped apart from their family and sold to slavery. This wasn’t by choice but by force. In addition, many slave owners gave the slaves alcohol three times a day, not for pleasure, yet to destroy them slowly and become like “zombies”.  After the visit to the slave lodge I acknowledge the importance to know ones History.  By knowing what happened in the past I am aware of not only how cruel society was but understand the even though the society claims that we live in a so called democracy, the trends of slavery still resides today. For instance many of the liquor stores are found mostly in urban area and hardly ever in suburban areas.  Also in the District t Six museums tour, I  learned that an entire community was forced to move from their home neighborhood to a less comfortable environment and the blacks were forced to live in the townships. Do people now days still have a choice?


How can this all change? How can people have the choice change their lives in such a cruel society. One way I learned is to not conform to it ways but to seek the good in every being. I also learned that I should appreciate my life, opportunities and family. Getting to meet Joseph and hearing his story changed my perspective drastically. Seeing the ambition, excitement and hope in Jospeh’s character made me reflect on me. Although he lost both of his parents and lives in difficult conditions, he still manages to carry on and peruse his educations. He seems hopeful and very determined to fulfill his ultimate purpose in despite what comes his ways  Meeting Joseph and his classmates made me realize that I have no reason to feel sorry for myself. I shouldn’t slack off my responsibilities, or not take advantage of the resources given to me here and back at home. For many students like Joseph don’t have the resources yet they are still hopeful and determined At this point on the trip I realize that passion is to help those in need in any shape or form. I am willing to dedicate my life to help others. Being so privileged and having opportunities in my life time, I feel as though I am obligated to  help others. And most importantly, It is impossible to complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment