Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Daniella on hiking Table Mountain

On hiking table mountain . . .

the thought of hiking table mountain was not a thought that crossed my mind. I am in no way, shape, or form an athletic individual. So it is no surprise that when I heard of the option of taking a cable car too and from it was sounding more like a definite possibility. But after speaking to my advisor, who visited Cape Town not too long ago, he convinced me that I should hike the mountain instead of taking the easy way out. So Sunday, June 9, was the day. I was actually pretty excited about it but a bit worried because I didn't know what to expect. I was also worried that I wasn't going to be able to accomplish it because I was not in shape. I feared lagging behind and holding up the other students. But all that fear went away the moment I reached Table Mountain. It was absolutely breath taking. The drive up there alone was a sight to see and actually being there was amazing. I was so pumped and excited to go.The scenery was so beautiful; all the rocks, the plants, and the streams. Hiking definitely took a lot of strength both mental and physical. I have to admit hiking Table Mountain was one of the hardest things I had ever done; besides leaving the country alone of course. It challenged me in ways that I never knew possible. There were times when I would see others running and sprinting up and the down the mountain with so much energy and I was dragging my feet completely exhausted. That discouraged me because I was suppose to be this young energetic girl and I couldn't do what these middle aged people were doing with no issues. But then I thought of myself, and realized that I was just as capable of achieving this. I might not be the fastest or strongest but I could also finish it. And that was exactly what I did. The moment I saw the top it was like I was looking into the heavenly skies. My legs were aching, I was having hot and cold flashes, and starving; but I sprinted up those last steps and finally reached the top. It was one of my proudest moments ever. I will treasure that moment forever. That experience makes me realize that I can accomplish any obstacle that comes my way. If I push myself, then nothing can stop me.          


No comments:

Post a Comment