Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Friday, May 31, 2013

Leslie's homestay experiences


Before even applying for the study abroad program and getting accepted, I was so excited for the home stay portion of the trip. I was really interested to see what it is like to be in another person’s shoes. To live in their home and follow their daily lives for a weekend. I wondered what kind of family would I get placed in, how many kids do they have, do they even have kids, what they do for living, can the mom cook, what do they have in stores for us, am I going to fit in, etc.

When the time was getting close to our home stay weekend, the excitement turned into worry. I didn’t know what to expect or even if we were going to be alone (one person to a family). I guess I was a little relieved to find out it was two students per family. As we walked to everyone’s homestay and dropped them off, a shift of location occurs. It went from decent housing and nice neighborhoods to a township/decent kind of location. There is where I met my homestay mother and family. My overall experience wasn’t what I expected and I guess I could not adjust to the hard life my family lived. After a few events, I met my second homestay mother. She lived in a flat but it was comfy and felt like home. She was so welcoming and loved to converse with us. For every meal, she laid everything out and we ate together. For our free day we went to another wine/farm place. There we rode camels, did some shopping, and just enjoyed the day.


At the end of the day it was a great experience and I was sad to say goodbye. I appreciate that these families took us in as their own, just so we could get a real inside look, It’s one thing to read, assume, or learn and another to live, witness, and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment