Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Chivelle feeling at peace

Through this study abroad opportunity, I really believe that I have found myself as an individual. I feel a type of connection with Cape Town. 

As soon as I landed here, I felt welcomed and loved, which made me feel comfortable right away.  Before I got here, I was worried that I would get homesick and that I wouldn’t get too much out of this experience, but after going to different places around Cape Town, I began to feel like it was my second home. Going to the different restaurants and stores, everyone was so warm and welcoming. Everyone says, “hello, how are you doing?” When people say this, they really cared about your well-being and wanted to make sure you were having a good day and that you were in good spirits.  Back home, I feel that when people say this, the motive can be one or two things, either they feel obliged to say this, they say it to say it or they actually care about your well being.  The people in Cape Town are really big on community and unity, which also made me feel at home.  Being here I have absolutely no worries or stress and I love that feeling! 


All the places we’ve seen such as Cape Point and Signal Hill make me feel a peace within myself.  The sights and the people here give me an undesirable and amazing feeling. It’s a feeling that I really can’t describe, but being here just feels right and I really do feel like I have grown as a person here.  Coming to South Africa is kind of like the missing puzzle that I’ve been looking for and now that I have come here, I really do feel like a complete person and I am ready for anything that life has to throw at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment