Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Cynthia's homestay in Ocean View


Hey everyone, we just returned from our weekend home stay in Ocean View and I loved it! Cindy and I stayed with Chantel Daniels (of Volunteer Mzansi Afrika) and her family. On Friday, we went to Green Curtain which is a kindergarten school in Ocean View to volunteer. I was placed in an Afrikaans class so the kids spoke mostly Afrikaans with the teacher. I thought it was interesting that for lunch and snack time the kids had to pray before they could eat their meals. Overall the children were so beautiful and it was a lovely experience.  Friday night we went to a communal dinner and I tried malay cake for the first time and it is delicious.  I’m actually looking for the recipe now to make it when I get back to the states. The people at the communal dinner were so friendly. On Saturday we went to the mall and I tried the McDonalds here. Surprisingly it tasted the same as it does in the states. On Sunday, Chantel brought us to church and coming from the background of going to church every Sunday I was very eager to see the similarities and differences between my church back at home and Chantel’s church. I enjoyed the service and the people there were welcoming and nice. This weekend gave me the opportunity to emerge myself into a family here in Cape Town and I learned a lot about the culture. I learned that the families are very close here and that everyone in the community looks out for each other. Also, people respect their elders very much and it is apparent through the way people never refer to someone older by just their name. They always add uncle or auntie before their name just to show respect even if they are not related to them. Another characteristic in the community was the dogs. I was not a big fan of the dogs that were everywhere but since they were not allowed in the house so I was able to tolerate them. All in all, I had a great experience this weekend and I would not trade it for anything.
Group Dinner in Ocean View, Clockwise from left:
Daniella, Cindy, Maeve Chivell, Deborah, Cynthia, Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment