Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Friday, May 24, 2013

Cynthia's memorable experience



A memorable experience was the trip to Robben Island. During the tour of the island I learned that even in jail classified blacks were treated worse than classified colored people and Indians. The people classified African or black were treated differently and given foods of lesser quality compared to the people that were not classified African.  I also learned that the pencil test was used to classify non whites into different groups. Part of the tour was given by a person who actually served prison time at Robben Island. Having a person that went to jail on Robben Island gave me an experience that I think I would not have gotten if the whole tour was given by a tour guide that did not go through that experience. The tour guide told us that today the people that were oppressed live on the island with the people that oppressed them. I think those people are very courageous because I do not think if I was in that situation I would be able to live next door or with people that oppressed me and vice versa. I feel that this is important because it shows that some people have overcome what happened in the past and is taking steps to move forward.

During my first day at Tafelsig clinic I spoke with some of the people that work in the pharmacy. They asked me questions and I also asked them many questions. One question that I was asked that I thought was interesting is if “there is really freedom in America for everyone?” I thought it was interesting because while I just wanted to say yes right away I had to really think if I would be telling them the truth about America if I did. One of the workers told me that during slavery the minority group was the ones oppressing the majority groups. At first when I thought about it, I wondered how that could happen but he then explained that when the white people came they had better weapons and tools to fight the Africans. This resulted in them being able to control the majority population. The man I worked with also had strong view about the government and politics in South Africa today. He talked about how every time it is election time, the ANC party, which is the political party Nelson Mandela belonged to when he was president, always bring up what happened during the apartheid times in order to win votes. This makes me wonder if always bringing up the bad things that happened in the past is a good or bad idea because people are always bringing up the bad things that happened and I am starting to wonder whether or not that hinders the future. 


No comments:

Post a Comment