Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Daniella


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
On one of our outings we actually had a chance to go to the townships around Cape Town which was enlightening. Initially coming to South Aftica I had a vision in my head. I pictured Africa to exactly what I witnessed in these townships and that day that is exactly what I got. But when I first arrived all I saw was palm trees, mountains, beaches, beautiful homes, and luxury cars. I couldn't believe this was the Africa that I heard about. I felt as if I was still in the states, perhaps in Miami or Beverly Hills. The wine vineyards were just amazing as if I was in Napa Valley. I wasn't able to fully wrap my brain around what I was seeing. But then really sunk in as we're were driving past the European styled homes and into the "slums" & "ghettos." The homes were made from aluminum like materials, frail wood pieces, and whatever other materials they were able to find. Till this day I still wonder how the homes are still standing and how they actually assemble them? It was definently a culture shock to see the living conditions that so many individuals were in. We had a chance to see Langa, Guguletu, Nyanga, Khayelitsha, and Mitchell's Plain. In Khayelitsha we had a chance to speak to some of the staff members, Mandla Majola, of a HIV/Aids prevention program at Treatment Action Campaign. He spoke about the community as whole and why so many of them have this disease. I was moved by his passion for helping this community. He spoke about the many tactics that they have to spread the word about how to prevent the spread of HIV/Aids. He talked about having conventions for men to try and educate them on the importance practicing safe sex. He also talked about how they would go home to home and speak to the families. But the best part of his speech was when he told us that President Obama (then senator Obama) was in the very same room we were in asking people there about strategies on approaching the HIV/Aids epidemic as well as on their tactics for community organizing. How amazing is that? Seeing these townships made me realize that I should be very appreciative of this opportunity and what I have in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment