Back Row: Carrie Graham, Alyssa Hughes, Daniella Abelard, Cindy Bravo, Cynthia Tetteh, Maeve Maloney, Zuleika Candelaria;
Front Row: Chivelle Blissett, Leslie Rivera, Deborah Delianne, Eddie Woollacot

Welcome . . .

On May 10, 2013 ten eager students and their director Carrie Graham arrived in Cape Town to begin what is sure to be an amazing four weeks. The University of Connecticut’s Service Learning Study Abroad in Cape Town is designed to facilitate greater understanding of South Africa’s troubled past while providing opportunities to witness its vibrant hope for the future. While living, learning, and working in one of most beautiful settings in the world, students are placed at various service learning sites while participating in classes intended to help contextualize their experiences, expand their horizons and develop a deeper appreciation of what it means to be a global citizen.

As anyone who has been to Cape Town can attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people here. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some experiences of students participating in this first ever 4 week "summer" program. Once again it is a privilege and honor to accompany a wonderful group of UConn students to a place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Leslie: In the aftermath

Usually one month away from everything is like a vacation. Too short of a time to make a change because in a new place there is just so much to see and do in such a short amount of time. With that said, that is why I am glad to say my time in Cape Town as short as it was made a successful impact on me. The sight-seeing alone made me appreciate all that nature has to offer. Visiting main tourist attractions was also educational. When we went to Robben Island I learned about great people like Nelson Mandela who changed South Africa and saved it from hell. I had a lot of fun learning and changing the first two weeks. Although we didn’t get much sleep or free days I can’t say I was really sorry. Sure I anticipated going to bed and taking a nap every twenty minutes at first because of jet lag but once I got over that I finally began to take in a lot of information. It was all worth it at the end. I am a more aware human being internally and externally. I am more educated about things that don’t just revolve around me. I have made new friends and extended my networking skills. I have become more involved in my own community. I am also looking to get into projects that will better myself and make an impact on others like we did in Cape Town.


At this very moment in time, I miss being in Cape Town tired from a long and life changing day. I miss my students in City Mission Educational Services and although we are in touch I wish they could just teleport to me or vice versa. I am excited to be reunited with my housemates once school starts up again. I am going to start my volunteering at My Sister’s Place Shelter in the near future. As a future goal, I am planning on looking for places to bring awareness with my presentation. Life is looking up and I thank God for opening up opportunities for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment